Optometry Laser Surgery Bill to be Introduced in Ohio
On March 6, members of the OOS Board met with leadership from the Ohio Optometric Association to discuss the forthcoming optometry scope of practice legislation in Ohio. While we don’t have specific language yet, we were made aware the bill will include the ability to do a variety of laser procedures including YAGs, lid lesion removal, and some expansion of prescribing authority. We have seen similar bills introduced across the country this year.
We will need the help of every OOS member to advocate for our profession and patients moving forward.
What can you do?
- Let us know if you have a relationship or know your local state representative or senator – email@example.com
- Attend OOS statehouse advocacy day on May 3 in Columbus – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sign up to do a legislative visit in your community or at your practice – oos staff will coordinate and attend with you – email@example.com
- Watch out for emails from OOS in the coming months regarding communicating with legislators on the bill
- If you haven’t already, contribute to the Ohio Medical Eye PAC.
Thank you in advance for your support and help. I look forward to working with all of you on this effort to ensure any legislative changes are in the best interest of our patients and profession.
Carla Ford, MD
If you have any questions or concerns, please email OOS executive director, Todd Baker.